Saturday, October 17, 2009

World War 11- Learning to be a paratrooper

This story is World War 11 in early 1943, when Hitler was fighting on all fronts, winning some, and losing more often. The German U-boats had won a battle in the Atlantic by sinking 27 of our merchant ships. North Africa was a hot bed of war between our 1st Armored Division and German Panzer Troops. On May 13, 1943, German and Italian troops surrendered in North Africa, but France had been taken by the Germans, and Paris was now under an armistice with the Nazis. Denmark, Norway, France, Belgilum, Luxembourg and the Netherlands all had been defeated by the German Nazis' war machine and the Germans were now bombing England. All of Europe, along with Russia, was into the fighting and bombing. At the same time, the USA was fighting a war with Japan that was brought to our shores on December 7, 1941 with the bombing of Pearl Harbor in Hawaii. The world had been turned into a living hell, and cities were burning and people were dying everywhere. Up to that time, the only area of the United States hit by bombs had been Pearl Harbor and we meant for it to stop there.


Betty and I talked about the situation the world was finding itself in. We agreed unless everyone put forth 100% effort, we very well could be living under German Nazi Military rule. With my going into the army, Betty felt it would be better for her to stay with the circus until I was in place at whatever location the Army would send me for training. Then she would join me until whatever was going to happen, took shape, then we could plan from there. We definitely needed a plan as our first child was due in December. Betty was in excellent physical condition, and as long as she wore loose -fitting clothes, her pregnancy did not show. Betty felt she would rather keep working while I was being moved around by the Army.

I was shipped to Fort Benning, Ga, home of the U. S. Army Parachute School, and arrived by bus on August 30, 1943. We were lined up and marched to the barracks area and told to find a bed. There were approximately 30 men to the barracks. Next morning at 4:00 a. m., we were lined up and marched to the new clothing warehouse, where we received new uniforms, then marched back to the barracks area. We were lectured on how we were to do as were were told, without question. We learned that when the word "jab" was said, we were to strike our left breast with our right fist, hold the position until the word "recover" was said; or, if the word "jab" was said, again, you were to strike your right breast with your left fist over your right arm that was still in the first 'jab" position. From a double "jab" position, the only word given could be "recover." I don't know what the "jab" was all about, except to keep everyone alert. Missing a "jab" command could mean push-ups.


The lecture of doing as you were told, without question, and this silly thing with the "jab" was not sitting well with me. I had been able to think for myself since leaving home at 16, and I wasn't there to play games. That kind of thinking was about to get me in big trouble. All of the men in the group I was in, had come from other Army divisions. They had been through basic training, which for some reason, I had not been, then had volunteered for parachute school. They then would be "paratroopers," the elite of the Army Airborne.

There I was, straight off the Ringling Brothers Circus, free as a bird, never any kind of strict discipline to prepare me for military behavior, stuck in one of the toughest outfits for military discipline, with some of the roughest and most hardened men ever assembled in one group.

Waiting for more volunteers ito arrive so the class would be of proper number, approximately 200, there was nothing to do. Things got a little testy among the men and officers in charge.
One of the young officers decided one morning at 3:00 a. m. that everyone had to pee. He went through the barracks hollering, "Everyone up for pee call." and to "fall in ranks in the company street!" I, for one, stayed in bed. I did not need to pee. I felt the young officer was just being an asshole and showing off his rank. When he came into the barracks to make sure everyone was out, he found me still in bed. He pulled the covers off me and pulled me out of bed. That was his mistake. I came up fighting and knocked him out the door. He landed on his ass in the company street in front of the men lined up there for 'pee call.' I turned and went back to bed. I could hear the men laughing and the officer making threats about what he was going to do about my striking an officer. Sure enough, 10:00 a. m. the next morning, word came for me to report to the Company Commander on the double. Never having been in the Company Headquarters, this was something new. I went in the door, told the Sergeant I had been requested to report to the Company Commander and my name was 'Martin'. From another office, a strong stern voice said, " Yes, I have been waiting for you Martin, get in here!" I walked in, went up to his desk, put my hands on top of his desk, and asked what he wanted to see me about, as if I didn't know. The Captain came out of his chair, stood looking at me, not seeming to know what to say for a few seconds. Then he asked me how long I had been in the army. I told him, "under two months." He asked if I had basic training of any kind? I told him," I had not. They had sent me there from the Induction Camp in Michigan, where I had been through the physical and evaluation examinations, sworn in, then shipped to Fort Benning to the Parachute School." The Captain pulled my file, sat there reading, then began laughing. He told me to sit down and relax, the Army was at fault by not sending me for basic training prior to Parachute School. The Captain said he would send me for basic training. When I finished, I could volunteer for Parachute School. He said he would like to have me back at the School, as an Instructor. This sounded good to me. I asked about knocking the young officer out the door. "Was I in trouble?" The Captain said, "No, just apologize and I'm sure he will accept your apology. That incident will help him to be a better officer."

Sometime during the next few weeks, papers arrived sending me to Camp Robinson Arkansas, 'set back in the hills that never stopped,' but near the city of Little Rock. That was another world, with natural gas heated cabins and up on top of the the hills at night, every star in the sky could be seen. I really enjoyed going through basic training there in the mountains of Arkansas.
As hectic as times were, there seemed to be a little time to sit back and figure what life was all about and to try to work out in my mind, the path I hoped to be on with the ones I loved. After completing basic training, I received a call from Betty that it would not be long when the baby would be ready to make its' entrance. Betty was staying in St. Petersburg, Florida with her folks. She felt more comfortable being there during the last part of her pregnancy. The next call was to inform me that Betty was on the way to the hospital. I contacted my Commanding Officer and received a five-day pass to be with Betty and the baby in St. Pete. By the time I arrived at the hospital, Betty had already delivered a beautiful baby girl, and named her Connie Lee, after her two best friends in the circus. With the five-day pass about to run out, and all was doing well in St. Pete, I headed back to Arkansas, where I was told on arrival, that I would be heading to Fort Benning, Ga to the Parachute School. Having completed basic training, I was now to go through Jump School. At the beginning of Jump School, there is a week of "Pre-A" stage, where the training is extra rigorous, with calesthenics and a five-mile run every day. They would increase the speed of the run each day. If the volunteer student cannot keep up with the class and drops out, then the student is washed out of the parachute troops and sent to regular Infantry. By doing this, the government saves the money and time it would take to put the student through the school and then have them drop out.

Having passed "Pre-A stage," you then moved on to regular Jump School starting with "A" stage, with more physical fitness to make the body stronger and withstand the shock of landing by parachute when loaded with 50- 60 lbs of gear. "B" stage and "C" stage is more of the same. "D" stage is the last week of school, learning to pack your own chute. Five jumps are required to graduate. One of them is a night jump. At that time "C-47's" were being used as jump planes. It was necessary to stand up, hook up and go in turn out the door.

During one night jump, it had just stopped raining and the wet black-top looked like a small river. During jump school, it was taught that if it appeared you might land in water, you should get free of the parachute straps, and let the parachute go prior to landing in the water. If you didn't get rid of the parachute, it could come down on top of you and you could drown. Several jumpers looking down saw the black-top and assumed it was water, so getting free of the chute , they dropped free about twenty feet above the road. Can you imagine hitting that road, thinking it was going to be water?

That night jump produced several learning experiences: be sure it is water before dropping out of your chute; and how to help your buddies with broken arms and legs. The base hospital was busy that night. I am sure nothing like that happened again. Going through Jump School was like being back on the circus, learning new tricks and acts. I was lucky my body was tuned for this type of life. I really felt sorry for some of the men, who thought they were in good physical condition, but had no idea what was really necessary to become a paratrooper.

While going through "C" stage, I goofed. The Sergeant giving the class said, "Martin, let's do some small arm circles." Which was a type of physical punishment to teach you not to goof again. The thing about it is, that if an instructor gives it as punishment, he has to do it with you. Most of the instructors are in superior physical condition and can really make you hurt, so that your arms will not stay up. When they think you have hurt enough they will stop. The instructors had built up strength in their shoulders and were masters at small arm circles. When this certain instructor ordered me to do small arm circles with him, he had no idea what he had done. I never said a word, and started doing small arm circles - holding my arms straight out to the sides at shoulder height and turning my hands and arms in small circles, along with the instructor. After a while, the instructor felt I should be tired, but all I did was smile. We kept going, and I could see he was tiring and his arms were getting heavy. I just smiled. After a while longer, I could see the instructor was struggling and becoming flustered. He then told another instructor to take his place. The replacement was about worn out, when the first instructor stopped us. He was laughing now, as we had gathered an audience to see this battle of the small arm circles. The Sergeant in charge of all the instructors asked, "Who the hell are you?" Laughing, I told him I was a circus performer, acrobat and trapese artist. He smiled and said, "No wonder!" From then on, we were the best of friends.

By the time Jump School was completed and my five jumps finished, I was now a Qualified Paratrooper and Rigger and had been assigned as an instructor in the "Pre-A" stage. Now was the time to find a place in town where Betty and Connie Lee could join me. I had gotten to know most of the cadre. One of the men, Hank Akers, was in charge of the base swimming pool. He was married and lived in town in a four-bedroom house and was looking for some people to share the house and expenses. Just what I was looking for. I called Betty and told her to come on home. We both knew it would not be for long, but at least we could be together for a while. Being in love and being apart is one of the worst things a person should have to endure in life, especially at this time in history. No one can honestly say what the world would be like one year from now. Even now, we ask ourselves, will the earth still be here? With all the weapons and fire power that is being developed, it could all end with one big bang. This is a fear we all have, but don't talk about.

When Betty and Connie Lee arrived, it was a new world. It didn't take long to get settled in. We had a large bedroom and bath and the kitchen and living areas were shared with two other couples. Hank and Jenny Akers, and another couple who were a little older. They preferred to keep to themselves. This worked out fine. He was also an instructor in the Jump School and they loved to baby-sit. Hank Akers had been a professional swimmer prior to joining the army. He had doubled for Johnny Weissmuller in some of the Tarzan movies. He would do the cliff dives. He also swam in Billy Rose's "Aquacades," a movie with Eleanor Holmes. Hank was a fun guy. He claimed to be the the seventh son from an Irish family, and he would drink to that, to prove it. His wife, Jenny was as pretty and sweet as an Irish lass could be.

We all enjoyed the house in Columbus, Georgia. Lots of parties and good friends, plenty of hard work at the school. One afternoon at the Jump School, a note was handed to me. It was from Lt. Knight wanting me to give him a call. I called him back and found that he was the same Jerry Knight who had been a knife-thrower with the Ringling Brothers Circus , then a police officer in Sarasota, Florida. We had run around together a bit during Winter Quarters. Jerry was now an officer in the army, not in the paratroopers, but in the regular army. Jerry travelled in a well-to-do circle of friends. He insisted that Betty and I join him and his girlfriend at various social functions around town and on base. Both Jerry and I knew that officers and enlisted men were not allowed to socialize, but this never bothered Jerry. Then he received word that his army division was being sent to Europe. We hated to see him leave, but Jerry was happy to be getting into combat. He felt the sooner we could get into the fighting, the sooner the war would be over. (More about Jerry later).

Life was kind to Betty and me. We were living as a family. We had no idea until now what real love was all about. There was nothing I would not do for Betty and she felt the same about me. Whenever we looked at each other, a wrm smile came on our faces. That's real love. It never ended and will last for eternity.

Things were not going well with the wars in Europe and Japan. Here at home in the United States, ration books were needed to buy almost any item: meats, gasoline, tires or anything that was needed to be used for the war effort. It all was rationed. Everyone was willing to do without, just to get this war to end. The whole world was affected. All America was feeling the desperation. The effort to win the war was 100%. There was now no way to plan even six months or a year ahead. Betty and I agreed that I would ask for overseas duty. Betty would take Connie and go to Detroit, Michigan, to live with my mother so Betty could work in one of the defense plants, while grandmother watched the baby .

to be continued.... To Scotland and the war in Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.cleeandcompany.com UA-11301203-1